The 3rd WEN GOES VIRTUAL DUE TO THE CORONAVIRUS SPREAD!
The nexus between water and energy is one of the most pressing and important issues that must be resolved by both current and future generations.
In an effort to address the problems surrounding this issue, the University of Sfax (Tunisia), in cooperation with the Sanitary Environmental Engineering Division (SEED) of the University of Salerno (Italy), the Advanced Institute of Water Industry at Kyungpook National University (Korea) and The Energy and Resources Institute, TERI (India) is organizing the third edition of the WaterEnergyNEXUS conference (3rd WEN), which we be delivered as a digital event on 2nd to 4th December 2020.
The first edition of WaterEnergyNEXUS was organized in Korea in 2017 during the Asian International Water Week, one of the more pertinent and significant meetings in Asia for scientists and professionals working in the field of water use and sustainability. The second edition was organized in Salerno (Italy) in 2018.
This third WaterEnergyNEXUS conference, initially planned to be organized in the island of Djerba in Tunisia, will provide an international digital platform where key topics on water management can be shared and discussed by participants with the presentation of nature-based solutions, advanced technologies and best practices by a panel of experts invited as plenary and keynote speakers. Another objective of this 2020 WaterEnergyNEXUS conference is to enhance cooperation, integration and sustainable development in the Euro-Mediterranean region on the critical links between Water and Energy.
The WaterEnergyNEXUS series of conferences are supported by the UNESCO World Water Association Programme (WWAP) and the International Water Association (IWA). It also enjoys the patronage of several international scientific societies, associations and organizations and has established a publishing partnership with Springer Nature.
Of the WaterEnergyNEXUS International Conference Series
(And Coordinator Of The Scientific Advisory Board)
Click on WEN series for more details
Vincenzo Naddeo, University of Salerno (Italy)
- Malini Balakrishnan, The Energy and Resources Institute
- Kwang-Ho Choo, Advanced Institute of Water Industry, Kyungpook National University
- Mohamed Ksibi, University of Sfax
Enrico Drioli, Institute on Membrane Technology (CNR-ITM), University of Calabria (Italy)
Nabil Khélifi, Springer Nature, Heidelberg (Germany)
Topics of interest for the WaterEnergyNEXUS conference include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Nexus framework and governance
- The nexus from the energy perspective;
- The nexus from the water perspective as it relates to energy;
- Existing tools and models used to analyze the nexus;
- Land, climate and energy constraints on water use and food production;
- Governance challenges in the Water-Energy Nexus;
- Governance of innovation in renewable energies and mitigation of climate change impacts;
- Investment in energy and water infrastructure;
- Urban Water Security;
- Urban Agriculture;
- Policymaking to implement the Circular Economy in the water cycle;
- Estimates and economic evaluations for investment projects in the water and energy sectors
- Environmental technologies for sustainable water management
- Water-energy nexus/ energy-saving technology;
- Nutrients/hazardous substances control;
- Water/wastewater technologies relevant to developing countries;
- Technology-driven and natural solutions for water use problems;
- Green technologies for sustainable water and wastewater management;
- Renewable/valuable resources for recovery and utilization;
- Wastewater/waste to energy;
- Control of Contaminants of Emerging Concern (CECs) including Bacteria Resistant to Antibiotics (BRA) and microplastics;
- Health-related Viruses in Natural & Engineered Water Systems
- Future clean energy technologies and systems under water constraints
- Water needs in energy systems such as power plants, fuel refineries, renewable energy development, and carbon capture & storage, etc.;
- Energy needs for water supply and agriculture: extraction, transportation, and disposal of water, livestock breeding, fertilizer production, irrigation, food transportation etc.;
- Agricultural and land-use impacts on future energy systems;
- Future urban energy systems taking into account water and food security;
- Environmental Biotechnology and Bioenergy
- Implementation and best practices
- Technological innovations supporting secure global access to clean energy and water;
- Reduction in operational costs for water and wastewater utility through improvements in energy efficiency;
- Case studies of innovative technologies and policies in municipalities and industries for energy and water savings;
- Energy and water consumption and balancing flows of urban and industrial systems.
Health impacts of Viruses in Natural & Engineered Water Systems
We are inviting experts in this field to share their knowledge and expertise. Please submit your latest research on the effect of viruses on human and animal health in natural and engineered water systems.
Zhen (Jason) He, Washington University in St. Louis (USA)
- TorOve Leiknes, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, KAUST
- Jesús Palma, Institute Imbdea Energy
- Eric D van Hullebusch, Université de Paris
- Ngai Yin Yip, Columbia University in the City of New York
- Raquel Lebrero Fernández, Universidad de Valladolid
- Ola M. Gomaa, Egyptian Atomic Energy Authority
- Haizhou Liu, University of California Riverside
- Cristina Trois, University of KwaZulu-Natal
- Burak Demirel, Boğaziçi Üniversitesi
- Antonio Nesticò, University of Salerno
Authors who wish to participate in the 3rd WaterEnergyNEXUS conference are encouraged to make an online submission of a 1-page abstract (max. 500 words) through the Performer_system before the submission deadline of 31st July 2020.
Authors of selected abstracts will be invited to submit an extended version (i.e. short proceedings paper, max. 3-4 pages) using this template. However, an extended abstract only needs to be submitted if you would like your work to be published in the conference proceedings.
All short papers (i.e. extended abstracts) accepted after being peer-reviewed will be published by Springer as book chapters in the conference proceedings which will be published in ASTI series (indexed in Scopus).
Only presenting authors, will be invited to develop their conference contribution (abstracts or extended abstracts) into a journal submission. The journal version should have at least 60% new content which should be identified clearly in a cover letter. There should be some added value in the journal paper over the short proceedings paper (extended abstract).
Only works presented at the 3rd WaterEnergyNEXUS conference will be candidates for inclusion in special issues. Selected authors will be invited to submit a peer-reviewed full journal manuscript for evaluation by the scientific committee for publication in one of the planned special issues in the collaborating journals listed below.
In addition to these journals:
“WhEN we are sketching” is a new creative art contest launched by WaterEnergyNEXUS to find iconic original artwork depicting the event topics. In addition, the goal is to increase involvement by stakeholders in the conference issues using the power of art and image communication techniques, creating images that engage people with the emerging topics. In this contest, Science and Art combine to disseminate ideas on environmental sustainability. Submit your artwork no later than 31th October 2020.
WITH THE SUPPORT OF
WITH THE PATRONAGE OF
INITIATIVE ORGANIZED WITHIN INTERNATIONAL PROJECTS FINANCIALLY SUPPORTED BY
Conference Abstract Submission
- Deadline for abstract submission (max. 1 page): 31th July 2020
- Notification of accept to present at WEN-2020 (online): 5th October 2020
- Opening of online registration (for authors and attendees): 1st November 2020
Proceedings Paper Submission
- Invitation to submit (optional) an extended abstract (max. 4 pages using this template): 5th October 2020
- Deadline for extended abstract submission to the proceedings: 6th November 2020
- Notification of preliminary acceptance to publish in the proceedings: 30th November 2020
- Deadline for submission of a first revised version: 10th December 2020
- Deadline for submission of a second revised version (if needed): 20th December 2020
- Notification of final acceptance: 30th December 2020
- Submission to Springer of final version after revision of English: 10th January 2020
- Typesetting, proofreading and production (Springer): 20th January – 10th April 2021
- Online publication of the proceedings by Springer: 10th April 2021
Conference Preparation & Plan
- Deadline for online registration to present or attend (online): 15th November 2020
- Deadline for registration payment (see payment rates on Registration): 15th November 2020
- Conference days (see Program): 2nd to 4th December 2020
Special Issue Full Paper Submission
- Invitation to selected presenting authors to publish in special issues: 15th December 2020
- Deadline for submission to special issues: 15th March 2021
- Evaluation process and revisions of papers submitted to special issues: 15th March – 15th September 2021
- Online publication of the special issues: 15th December 2021